Driving Licence Codes: Everything You Need To Know

If you've had your licence for any period of time, you'll surely be familiar with what's on the front of it. After all, this is what you'll have to show as a means of ID. However, even drivers who've been on the road for years are unlikely to have paid much attention to the reverse side of their licence. Look closely, however, and you may well notice certain numbers cropping up. These aren't random. In fact, they represent key information about you as a driver—and, in certain situations, ignoring them could land you with a hefty fine.

We're going to look at what these driving licence codes are, why they're so important and the repercussions you could face if you don't adhere to them.

What are driving licence codes?

back of UK driving licence showing driving licence codes
© Crown copyright (Open Government Licence)

You'll undoubtedly be familiar with the information that's listed on the front of your full driving licence—from your name to your address to the date your licence was issued. It's even got that #instaperfect picture of you on the front that somehow doesn't look as good in black and white. What you probably won't have glanced twice at, however, is the back of your licence.

Much like the front of your licence, the reverse side holds a range of important information that you should be aware of. If you turn it around, you'll be able to see a small table with numbered columns. Here's what each column represents:

  • Column 9 lists the type of vehicles that you might be entitled to drive
  • Column 10 shows the earliest date from which a driving category is valid from
  • Column 11 shows the date at which your driving category is no longer valid
  • Column 12 includes driving licence codes that show what restrictions are in place

The driving licence codes found in column 12 relate to certain rules or restrictions that are in place for the vehicle you drive and how your driving in general. These codes range from health-related conditions (needing to wear glasses or contact lenses) to stipulations for the vehicle you're driving (a limited number of seats or a maximum weight) to vehicle modifications (modified braking systems or clutch).

You can check out the full list of driving licence codes in the handy table below!

Driving Licence Codes

01 - Eyesight correction (glasses or contact lenses)

02 - Hearing/communication aid

10 - Modified transmission

15 - Modified clutch

20 - Modified braking systems

25 - Modified accelerator systems

30 - Combined braking and accelerator systems (for licences issues before 28 November 2016)

31 - Pedal adaptations and pedal safeguards

32 - Combined service brake and accelerator systems

33 - Combined service brake, accelerator and steering systems

35 - Modified control layouts

40 - Modified steering

42 - Modified rear-view mirror(s)

43 - Modified driving seats

44 - Modifications to motorcycles
  (1) Single operated brake
  (2) Adapted front wheel brake
  (3) Adapted rear wheel brake
  (4) Adapted accelerator
  (5) (Adjusted) manual transmission and manual clutch
  (6) (Adjusted) rear-view mirror(s)
  (7) (Adjusted) commands (direction indicators, braking light, etc.)
  (8) Seat heigh allowing the driver, in sitting position, to have two feet on the surface at the same time and balance the motorcycle during stopping and standing
  (11) Adapted foot rest
  (12) Adapted hand grip

45 - Motorcycle only with sidecar

46 - Tricycles only (for licences issued before 29 June 2014)

70 - Exchange of licence

71 - Duplicate of licence

78 - Restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission

79 - Restricted to vehicles in conformity with the specifications stated in brackets
Restricted to category AM vehicles of the three-weel or light quadricycle type
Restricted to tricycles

96 - Allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer where the trailer weighs at least 750kg, and the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is between 3,500kg and 4,250kg. 

97 - Not authorised to drive category C1 which falls within the scope of Council Regulations (EC) NO 561/2006 on tachographs in road transport

101 - Not for hire or reward (aka, you're not allowed to make a profit)

102 - Drawbar trailers only

105 - Vehicle not more than 5.5m long

106 - Restricted to vehicles with automatic transmissions

107 - Not more than 8,250kg

108 - Subject to minimum age requirements

110 - Limited to invalid carriages/transporting persons with restricted mobility

111 - Limited to 16 passenger seats

113 - Limited to 16 passenger seats except for automatics

114 - With any special controls required for safe driving

115 - Organ donor

118 - Start date is for earliest entitlement

119 - Weight limit for vehicle does not apply

121 - Restricted to conditions specified in the Secretary of State's notice

122 - Valid on successful completion: compulsory basic training (CBT)

123 - Limited to not more than 5.5m long except for automatics

124 - Limited to drawbar trailers only except for automatics

125 - Tricycle

How does the DVLA know which codes I need on my licence?

Remember when you had to apply for your provisional licence? Part of your application involved you filling out a medical questionnaire and disclosing any medical conditions that could affect your driving. The DVLA uses this information—along with category-specific stipulations—to create the driving licence codes on the back of your card. If you declared, for example, that you need a hearing or communication aid, you'll have a 02 code on your licence. Your licence will even have a code if you told the DVLA that you're on the organ donor registry!

It's important that you keep your driving licence updated—whether it's a change in your medical condition(s), address or marital status. If you don't, the DVLA could fine you up to £1,000!

What if I just ignore my driving licence codes?

Though these driving licence codes might seem easy to ignore, it's important that you not only know which codes apply to you, but also that you adhere to the regulations they represent. If you're found to be violating these conditions, you could face serious consequences.

For starters, though roadside punishment is rare for driving licence codes, you could end up with a £100 on-the-spot fine by police for certain breaches, e.g., if you're not wearing glasses or contact lenses despite having a 01 code on your licence. You could also end up with 3 to 6 penalty points for “driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence” and an additional fine worth 50% of your weekly salary (capped at £1,000).

Even though the chances of you getting caught ignoring your driving licence codes are incredibly slim, do you really want to risk a fine or getting points on your licence? All you've got to do is glance at the back of your licence and see if there are any particular restrictions in place. It's not rocket science!


  1. Leon@PassMeFast

    Hi David,

    The 70H code on your licence means that your Hungarian licence was exchanged for a UK one.

    This code doesn't hold any restrictions and is just there for reference if needed.


    1 year ago

  2. Leon@PassMeFast

    Hi Rik,

    70ROU means that you exchanged a Romanian licence for your new licence.

    70 means that your licence was exchanged, and ROU is the code for Romania.

    I hope that helps!


    1 year ago

  3. Rik

    Hi I need to know what code 70ROU on my new license means please

    1 year ago

  4. David

    I returned to the UK from Europe last year after a period living there and recently exchanged my licence for a UK one. l passed my test in Hungary so my UK licence now has 70H on it - understandably.

    Does this really make any difference to it in what I can use it for in the future? Does it have any disadvantages?

    1 year ago

  5. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi Peter,

    Is your licence a full driver's licence, motorbike, or provisional?



    2 years ago

  6. Peter Wood

    I have a 85 code on my driving licence what dos this mean

    2 years ago

  7. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi Derek,

    Category C1 is lorries up to 7,500kg with a 750kg trailer
    C1E is the C1 but with a combined weight up to 12,000kg
    D is buses with a trailer up to 750kg
    and D1 is a minibus with a max length of 8 metres and a trailer up to 750kg

    Hope that helps!


    2 years ago

  8. Derek colley

    What does D,C1E,C1,D1 mean

    2 years ago

  9. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi there,

    A79 means you can only drive trikes. Have you passed the motorbike test previously?



    2 years ago

  10. K Bateman

    I have a Cat A on my licence since 2013 but also a 79 code foes this mean i have full motorcycle entitlement or is it only for Trikes


    2 years ago

  11. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi Allan,

    B means you can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg with up to 8 passenger seats (essentially a licence to drive a normal car).

    BE means you can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg with a trailer and 78 means you can only drive automatic vehicles.

    I'm not entirely sure on the B-auto part — where on the licence is this found?



    2 years ago

  12. Allan

    Hello. I have category B and BE as well as code 78, but not category B-auto. What am I allowed to drive or not drive?
    Many thanks.

    2 years ago

  13. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi Marvin,

    Good question! I think, with you retaking the practical test in Austria, you might be able to exchange that licence for a UK version. The only proof you need of taking the test in Austria/the EU is your Austrian licence.

    I'd contact the DVLA to double-check before sending your licence off, but I think you should be able to exchange.

    Good luck with it all!


    2 years ago

  14. Marvin

    I quick question in regards to exchanging the foreign driving licence for the UK one, I am sorry if it does not make sense to ask here, but I am not certain whom to ask. I initially obtained my driving licence in Serbia (theory and practical tests). After that, I exchanged my driving licence for the Austrian licence, for which I had to take only the practical test again (I have code 70 on it). Now on the DVLA D1 form, they asked in which country was the test was taken, which in the case of this particular license is in Austria. However, I do not think that this is how the logic works based on reading the INF38 further, a subsection that covers exchanges. Even though I did take the test again in the EU. Is there any way to prove DVLA that?

    My assumption is that I send my driving licence to DVLA they will categorise me as non-EU to EU conversion, and I will not be able to exchange the license to UK one. Do you have any idea, am I correct with that assumption? If yes, then I need to repeat both tests again in the UK (3rd time is the charm) and should not ship the license to the DVLA.

    2 years ago

  15. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi Karen,

    I believe that's correct, but I'm not 100% sure if the E stand for Egypt or another country.



    2 years ago

  16. Karen Price

    70 is to indicate the exchange of a licence from a country outside of the U.K.
    The letter after it indicates which Country your original licence was from/or if first exchange letters represent which country you took your test .
    Mine is 70CY is Cyprus (as that is where I learned to drive & took test)

    So presumably 70E (would be somewhere like Egypt??)

    2 years ago

  17. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi Simon,

    No need to worry — the traffic light image is just a security feature (a bit like the watermarks/holograms on the licence).

    You can find out more about this here - passmefast.co.uk/photocard-licence



    2 years ago

  18. Simon young

    In regards to the Amber dot on the back, I have read that it means I have a pending conviction of some sort.
    My licence is as clean as the day I goy it, could you shed some light on what these dots mean.

    2 years ago

  19. Sam@PassMeFast

    Hi Jason,

    It'd be best to ask the DVLA about this. You can contact them on 0300 790 6801 or by following this link – gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/

    Thank you,


    2 years ago

  20. Jason

    It says if you have a full b driving licence in 1997/98 you can drive a minibus and a motorcycle but how do I get these on my license

    2 years ago

  21. Andy@PassMeFast

    Hi Edoardo,

    If you have a full car licence then you can drive or ride any motor tricycle. However, you won't be able to ride a motorbike until you've completed a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course.

    Hope this helps!


    2 years ago

  22. Edoardo Rondelli

    Hello, regarding licence A, the code 79(3) on the above list it says restricted to tricycles, meaning that with this type of licence i'm allowed to drive any kind of tricycle but not any type of motorbike? i'm confused. thanks in advance

    2 years ago

  23. Isobel@PassMeFast

    Hi Jeová,

    As mentioned in the article, the '70' code refers to exchange of licence. I would therefore assume that '70E' means your licence has been exchanged. This would be the case if, for example, you exchanged a foreign licence for a UK one.

    Hope this helps!


    2 years ago

  24. Jeová Rizzetto

    What is mean the “70 code” in my drive license have 70E ?

    2 years ago

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.